Freedom Festival – Parade and Balloons

022_7S47491

035DSC_5598

038DSC_5655 037DSC_5647

042DSC_5700 046DSC_5738

062_7S48149

1. becky says

One time (this was in St. George) me and this kid showed up early and offered to help them blow up the balloons. It’s kinda a lot of work so they loved us for it, anyway, they totally offered to let us ride for free. Turns out that people are always looking for help and will give you rides if you do. You should try it next year. I bet you could get awesome shots from way up there!

2. Tara says

One of these days, I will make it down to the ballon festival! That would be a blast! JaG

3. mickelle says

The brass band shot is genius. That reflection is the type of thing that makes me crave an eye that is more sophisticated, more trained. I don’t think I’d have thought to take such a shot.

P.S. Every parade needs a guy with a handlebar (?) mustache.

JaG

4. Kaitlyn Janis says

I love the hot air balloon pictures, especially the pig one! Too funny!

5. Terri says

Hello everyone,

I am new here.

Before I moved to Vancouver, I lived in the Tri-Cities in SE Washington. Every May there is a large Walla Walla Balloon Stampede and I would drive back and forth all weekend to attend, it is about 45-50 miles from where I lived. I am not a morning person, so driving there at 4-5 am took a lot of energy, but it was worth it.

I had a friend who was a news director for a local tv station.
    He set it up so that I could go up on media day, the Thursday before the start. He told them I was doing still photos for the station. We went up, it was getting breezy, we were one of the few balloons that flew that day. We landed at the airport and here comes the real news team from the station, the balloon, their balloon didn’t go up due to the wind picking up. The people I rode with gave an interview and I was able to cut him off when he tried to mention that I was working for the station too. What are the odds that?

Every year I would crew for them and when there was room, I would get a free ride. I also helped one of their friends too. They stopped coming because the weather changed and they were not able to go up at all over the three days.

I loved flying in the balloon, it was like you were sitting still and the earth was moving away from you. It was so quiet, you would hear a cow moo in the distance once in awhile but it was amazing.

They have a balloon festival in this area too but it isn’t the same.

6. Kimbrey says

How much fun! The pictures of the soldiers and the little girl with the flag were heart warming. JaG