SMALL CAMERAS???

Posted by scott at 4 July 2013

Category: (b) Via Google+

Tags: , ,

I know +Trey Ratcliff doesn't need me to share his post to get his point across to millions of folks but I really appreciated his write up so I'm gonna write my reactions and link his post here anyway http://www.stuckincustoms.com/2013/07/04/sony-nex-review-nikon-vs/Go read it!

It's a fascinating read… and it doesn't matter that me and most of you won't be switching… but I think we can understand why he did and many in his situation may also switch as well.

{Some Thoughts}

1. I just wanna say I got a chance to play with a top of the line micro 4:3 camera last week and take hundreds of pictures and it was eye opening… I kinda expected it to be kinda lame (or non exciting… like taking pics with a point and shoot) … and it wasn't… there were some great features. thanks +Dave Veffer
The pictures are still in the queue for being edited.

2. I think I was most impressed at how fast and sharp the focus was.

3. I didn't rush out to buy one if you're wondering. Though I may prior to my year long road trip. http://bit.ly/americanfaith

4. Would I like to have one? Yes

5. Would I still use my NIKON more? Yes. (It fits my type of photoshoots better and fits my style/look better) and I already have tons invested in Nikon… no use spending more money.
6. I'm not the target market of the mirrorless – I do astro-photography, I do heavy bokeh portraiture, and I do action stuff a lot.

7. Years ago i bought a Canon G11 seeing if I'd be inclined to use a point and shoot. Turns out I don't mind taking my big DSLR every where I go already. So while it may be nice to have a smaller camera it's not a big selling point for me. Maybe when I get as old as +Trey Ratcliff I'll care more about weight ;) haha

8. Ok I must admit I do see some uses FOR ME of having a small pocket carried camera for travel stuff

{What do I want to know more about?}

9. How long do these cameras last. My D700 is at 300k+ pictures… does not having a mirror make these last longer. Or does the lower quality non-pro build make them last less?

10. Timelapse. I wanna know more about the options for timelapse pictures. FOR ME, I see this as the easiest most probable usage.

11. I know one of the reasons to keep the full frame dslr's is for the better bokeh… what are these cameras gonna do to attract someone like me… can they do anything?

12. Question… Is there any reason nikon wouldn't do a pro camera like the d800 without a Mirror?

13. So what is the best thing about the mirrorless cameras, the size, the cool features or simply not having a mirror?

#blogged

Embedded Link

Hello Sony. Goodbye Nikon. The Story of why I am Switching from Nikon to Sony.
Oh, Nikon… Sad Emoticon. Nikon, you’ve been good to me over the years. It’s not you. It’s me. Well, maybe it is kinda you. You’re kinda getting heavy; let’s be honest. I have this other new spunky Asian I’ve been seeing. Her name is Sony. Yeah, she doesn’t have those giant lenses…but… she fits …

Google+: Reshared 41 times
Google+: View post on Google+

Post imported by Google+Blog. Created By Daniel Treadwell.

1. Scott Jarvie says

+Dan Hawk Yeah I think I need to go try one for a day or two. Do you know how many clicks they rate them to?

Is it right to assume the bokeh is about as good as a typical dx dslr?

2. Dan Hawk says

I don't know the rating- and they don't have a counter built in to my knowledge. I've heard that Sony can give you the number if it goes in for servicing.

In terms of bokeh, it certainly rivals any crop frame dslr from what I've seen.

Mostly +Scott Jarvie, it's a really fun and comfortable camera to use. The grip will feel familiar to dslr shooters, the evf is exceptional and the micro adjust and peak outline focusing are really cool.

As I mentioned, it's my one and only camera (digital) at this point so you can see some samples on my site- http://danhawk.com

Great work btw, added you and look forward to seeing more!

3. Robert LeBlanc says

Since there's no mechanical shutter, the cycle rating is speculated to be considerably higher than cameras with actuating mirrors.

4. Dragos Jianu says

Mirrorless are awesome, but they still have some way to go, especially in terms of (wireless) flash use, low light AF, lens availability and such.

5. aqdas khan says

Sony is awesome

6. Roger Sharp says

I got a NEX7 as a back up for my Canon 7D. Now shoot more with the NEX7 and I'm shooting surfing for a living…
    Love it. Love the 10fps. Love being able to get quality Canon FD glass for next to nothing on eBay. And love manually focusing again. Takes me back to the good old days.
    Sure the menus take some getting used to to and it can be improved from a software point of view but the image quality is insane and to get 10fps with Canon costs the earth.
    I'm sold :D

7. Robert LeBlanc says

While I'm not going to invest in a mirrorless/ILC system anytime soon (I'm quite happy with my Canon 5D Mark III, speedlights, and significant amount of L glass) I did however recently preorder a Sony RX100 II as a "take everywhere" camera, and I'm excited to try it out.
    I really don't have anything in between my DSLR system and me smartphone, so this should fill a void nicely.

8. Ian Norman says

I too find myself more often than expected shooting with my mirrorless Fuji X-E1 rather than my Canon 6D. Much of the reason is size and user experience. It's just nicer to use a camera and lens setup that doesn't weigh 5lbs.  The X-E1 is the only camera I own that I will even consider taking backpacking. It weighs only 1 pound with a lens. That said, I still find that a Full-Frame DSLR can do things that a mirrorless camera just cannot. High ISO noise is still the best on full frame DLSRs like the Canon 5D Mark III, 6D and Nikon D800. Since night photography is my primary focus, I will still default to my DSLR for the most technically challenging shots.

9. Julysa Brown says