“If someone says the editing images isn’t that important, it’s because they aren’t any good at it.”
I’m doing some work on some of my old pictures.
For those who know Lightroom I’m taking all my multitudes of catalogs from years past and combining them. The goal is to have 1 catalog for each of the years from 2004-2007 maybe 2008 as well.
Since now my images have moved from HardDrive to HardDrive back from the days I was using 80gb HDDs to 200 to 500 to 1tb to 2tb to now there’s 6-7tb on my Drobo – so I had to first reconnect the folders in these old lightroom catalogs.
So while I was going through them I was realizing how much better I could make these images now days.
Keep in mind these were already edited.
How things have changed
- two big changes Lightroom has made in the quality of images. For Nikon cameras they have a profile that has been the foundation of my look for my pictures as far as colors -> VIVID and then they updated the process version.
- So I’m updating the images and it brings a whole new light to the images.
- Another big change is a big beautiful 30″ monitor that shows colors corectly.
- Obviously I’m also a tad better these days in the editing and a lot more picky and perfectionist on things.
- I also use the brushes in Lightroom a lot more, for darkening edges and sharpening and softening.
- Lots more attention to correct skin tone.
So I took 7 images and did a before and after. Before shows how they were edited back then… and how I’d edit them now.
Actually I’ll show the newer version first.
Again keep in mind the changes aren’t huge since the images were Already Edited.
ReMaster Images Sell
If a couple prints an old wedding image from SmugMug they will be edited like so. So even though they all own print rights… they’ll get an added value out of this.
If someone wants me to re-edit their images in bulk I’ll do it at $1 per image. Which is a special deal for now to see how it goes. And when I see how long it really takes and how desirous this service is I’ll change the price to where it should be
Skin tones! And recovering some bright areas.
I did some funky stuff back in the day… Now I just like really nice solid edits… good quality colors etc. (Not that this new edit is perfect… but mucho better)
More contrast, darker darks and happy times.
Difficult color situations like this.
Not huge magical changes… just lots better stuff.
Should I do more posts like this?